If you're eyeing a Department of Defense (DoD) tender, you've likely encountered the CMMC - a three-stage puzzle you must conquer to access those lucrative contracts. Navigating the CMMC landscape can feel like maneuvering through a maze, especially if you're new to CMMC certification levels and requirements.
Read on to understand CMMC Compliance and its associated costs to answer the burning question, "How long does it take to get CMMC certified?"
What is CMMC
The Cybersecurity Maturity Model Certification (CMMC) is a standardized framework developed by the DoD to gauge the cybersecurity hygiene of its contractors and subcontractors. It's like a ladder, with five rungs leading to the summit of robust cybersecurity. Each level demands increasingly stringent security practices and controls. This means that getting to the topmost rung makes you more attractive to the DoD.
As of July 2021, the 5-tier framework was replaced with a 3-stage model. The current CMMC 2.0 certification levels include:
Level 1: Foundational
Think of this as the solid foundation on which your cybersecurity journey begins. Level 1 focuses on essential controls like access management, password policies, and basic incident response. It's a self-assessment level, ideal for companies already practicing fundamental security hygiene. Think email encryption, multi-factor authentication, and vulnerability scanning.
Level 2: Advanced
Level 2 demands documented security practices, requiring you to formalize and implement your existing controls. Third-party assessments come into play, ensuring your processes meet the CMMC's rigorous standards, such as the NIST SP 800-171. Achieving this level means protecting Controlled Unclassified Information (CUI). Expect to delve deeper into data encryption, secure logging, and malware defense – building a robust shield against cyber threats.
Level 3: Expert
This is the pinnacle of CMMC 2.0 maturity, reserved for those entrusted with the DoD's most sensitive information. The third level requires advanced and continuous security measures like threat hunting, penetration testing, continuous monitoring, and incident response exercises.
How Long Does It Take to Get CMMC Certification?
How long it takes to achieve CMMC Certification depends on the level you seek:
- Level 1: If you're already security-savvy and handling basic FCI, this basic level with access controls and password policies can be conquered in 30-90 days.
- Level 2: This level demands documented practices, risk assessments, and third-party audits, requiring a 6-12 month experience through the CMMC wilderness.
- Level 3: Mastering advanced measures like threat hunting and continuous monitoring takes at least 18 months. It's reserved for those protecting the DoD's most sensitive data.
Remember, these are just estimates. The actual time can vary depending on your organization's size, complexity, and existing security infrastructure. To streamline the process, you should assess your current cybersecurity practices and align them with the specific CMMC certification requirements for your chosen level.
How Much Does It Cost to Become CMMC Certified?
CMMC certification cost is broken down into the following components:
- Soft costs: This category includes expenses related to assessments, planning, budgeting, training, documentation, and audit preparation.
- Remediation costs: This segment covers the substantial expenses of upgrading IT systems, facilities, and relevant technologies. It often constitutes the largest portion of the overall cost.
- The cost of time: Time is a significant cost factor, as it will take time for IT support, management, and employees to prepare for CMMC certification.
- Assessment costs: An assessment is mandatory for most Level 2 (formerly Level 3) companies. In such cases, a third-party assessor, known as a C3PAO (Certified Third-Party Assessment Organization), conducts the formal CMMC assessment. While official assessment costs have yet to be published, estimated figures are predicted to start at around $ 3,000.
- Maintenance costs: Sustaining the implemented measures, including soft costs, remediation efforts, and ongoing assessments, adds to the long-term expenses of maintaining CMMC compliance.
How Long Does a CMMC Assessment Take?
So, how long does it take for a professional to determine that you meet CMMC certification requirements?
It will take several days to a few weeks for the C3PAO to assess your completion of all CMMC level 1 requirements. However, your organization's size and complexity impact the exact timeline. Expect interviews, documentation reviews, and basic technical tests.
Level 2 requires a more thorough examination. Be prepared for weeks to months of in-depth interviews, rigorous documentation reviews, and comprehensive technical tests conducted by the C3PAO. This deep dive ensures your systems comply with NIST SP 800-171 standards and are robust enough to protect CUI.
Think months or even longer of intense scrutiny, with ongoing monitoring, threat-hunting simulations, and continuous reviews by the C3PAO. This gruelling process ensures your defences are impregnable, safeguarding the DoD's most sensitive data.
If you're considering working with the DoD, obtaining CMMC certification levels is both a necessity and strategic investment. Start your journey today by assessing your organization's cyber-readiness to secure the future of your business.
Connect with Trava's certified experts for personalized guidance and support.